ONE-INGREDIENT MEAL: STEAMED MUSSELS
One-Ingredient Meal: It doesn’t get any simpler than this!
Budget-friendly, healthy meal rich in protein, iron, zinc, iodine, Vitamins A & B12, and Omega-3 fatty acids made with only one ingredient: Mussels.
Did you know that mussels are full of vitamins and minerals, high in protein and low in fat?
Not only that. They’re known to reduce inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis. Mussels also prevent asthma, boost brain function and enhance memory. High in Vitamin B12, they also improve mood and concentration. Best of all, its high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids promote heart health.
They’re also budget-friendly and cost a fraction of the soaring prices of meat nowadays.
Needless to say, eating mussels will help both our body and our pockets.
Cooking a one-ingredient meal that is healthy and budget-friendly nowadays is a skill every homemaker should learn.
Worry not, here’s the recipe for this delicious one-ingredient meal!
- Steam 1/2 kg mussels for 3-5 minutes, or until the shells open up.
- Discard half of the shell of each mussel and arrange them on a plate.
- Optional: Put a dash of Cheez Whiz (or a slice of cheese, if you prefer) on top of each mussel.
- Microwave for 1 minute on High.
- Serve and enjoy.
- It’s up to you if you want want to add a sprinkle of salt or seasonings, but mussels on their own are already full of flavor.
- Wait a few minutes after steaming before opening the mussels to prevent burns.
Good for: 4 persons
Cost: (Philippine peso) Php 85.00 (add cost of cheese if you like, but I think basically this meal does not exceed Php 100)
APPLE PRODUCTS YOU’LL LOVE